Flourless Chocolate Cake
It is said that this recipe dates bake to the 1920's in Italy, when a baker forgot to add flour to a cake recipe. This cake is fantastic! Soft and creamy, the perfect gluten-free chocolate dessert.
- 1 ½ sticks Unsalted butter at room temperature, plus more in the pan
- 1½ tbsp Potato Starch plus more for the pan
- 1½ cups Confectioners sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for dusting
- ½ Vanilla bean, split lengthwise
- 5 Large eggs, at room temperature, separated
- Pinch of salt
- 6 oz Dark chocolate, grated
- ½ cup Generous ½ cup almonds, finely chopped
- ½ cup Generous ½ cup hazelnuts, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Baking powder
- Peheat the oven to 350 °. Butter an 8 ¼ inch round cake pan.
- Dust the pan with potato starch. In a bowl, combine the softened butter and ¾ cup of the sugar.
- Scrape the vanilla bean into the bowl. With an electric mixer, beat at high speed for 4 minutes.
- Add the egg yolks and salt and mix for 5 more minutes. In a separate bowl, stir together the chocolate, almonds, hazelnuts, potato starch, cocoa powder and baking powder.
- In a third bowl, with clean beaters, beat the egg whites with the remaining ¾ cup sugar until stiff peaks form.
- Fold half of the egg whites into the butter/egg yolk mixture and stir gently. Add half of the chocolate/nut mixture, then the remaining whites again, and then the remaining chocolate/nut mixture.
- Gently mix all the ingredients until perfectly smooth. Scrape the batter into the prepared pan and bake, about 45 minutes, until the surface is dry and lightly cracked.
- Let the cake cool in the pan on a wire rack. Invert the cake onto a serving plate and dust with the remaining sugar.